Holiday Lentil Loaf
by: Dorothee Louis
1 cup well-cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
⅓ cup oat flour (or ground oats)
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
½ to 3/4 cups ground sunflower seeds
1½ cups of spinach, shredded and tightly packed
1 medium-large carrot, grated
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 onion (medium or large), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1½ teaspoon sea salt (or adjust to taste)
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
¼ cup raisins (optional)
½ cup cranberry sauce (See recipe below)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Cook your brown rice and lentils or use leftovers.
3. Grind sunflower seeds and flaxseeds in a blender or spice grinder until fine (or to your preference)
4. Chop vegetables.
5. Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and spinach in a shallow pan until the onion starts to become translucent (about 2 minutes). You may also sauté the veggies with water or coconut oil.
6. Add the oregano, thyme, Italian seasoning, sea salt and cayenne pepper to the pan and continue sautéing until everything is tender.
7. In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, brown rice, lentils, oat flour, ground sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds, and raisins, mixing until thoroughly combined.You may use a potato masher to mash all the ingredients. This will help the ingredients properly bind together and help the loaf hold together.
8. Firmly press the mixture into a greased or parchment paper lined loaf pan or 9x9 cake pan.
9. Bake for 30 minutes. Then remove from the oven, and pour the glaze over the loaf and bake for another 15 minutes until glaze is a deeper red and slightly solid
10. Remove from oven and let sit for about 15 minutes to fully set.
2- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
¾ to 1 cup honey
1 cup water
1. Wash the cranberries.
2. Blend all ingredients in a saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
3. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. In a high speed blender, blend cranberry sauce until completely smooth. You may add this glaze on top of your loaf according to the instructions given prior.